CBD, or cannabidiol, is a compound found in cannabis and hemp, is known for its therapeutic properties.It is important to emphasize that it is not psychoactive because, in most cases, CBD does not contain delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in significant amounts, this is the compound that gives marijuana its psychoactive properties, so cannabidiol extract does not produce the sensations typical that we know can cause marijuana in humans. Also, most CBD products are derived from hemp and not marijuana.
Cannabidiol (CBD), one of the active constituents of the cannabis plant, has important curative and medicinal effects for all mammals.
What types of pets benefit from taking CBD?
In general, most pets classified as chordates (spine) have an endocannabinoid system just like humans. This system plays an essential role in the processing of CBD components in CBD oils. That means you can use these products to almost all types of pets, including cats, dogs, and even horses.
Pet owners have used it to treat a wide range of therapeutic and behavioral problems: seizures, pain, anxiety, nausea, cancer.
During recovery from illness or surgery, CBD can speed healing.
Meet our Store Care: Buy Royal Canin, Eukanuba, Hill’s, and many other brands at the best price.
Between 1% and 5% of puppies experience seizures, which are caused by a variety of hidden conditions including inherited diseases, kidneys and liver, head damage, malignant brain diseases, and idiopathic epilepsy.
In the case of canines, it reduces the intensity and frequency of seizures in dogs diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy.
Animals can suffer from joint pain, and although they cannot communicate it, you may notice that their movement slows down or they lose their appetite. The data shows that the connection of CBD with the CB1 receptor is essential in the treatment of chronic pain, for example, in dogs and felines. This decreases the feeling of torment and relax the body.
Depression and anxiety occur when there is a chemical imbalance in the brain. Dogs are especially susceptible to this disorder. Reports from veterinarians and medical experts have shown that the use of CBD oil can help stabilize and normalize a chemical fluctuation that results in these health problems. Additionally, the CBD component could interact with the serotonin and adenosine receptors in your dog’s brain to make it function properly. Many people like to use CBD oil to help fight anxiety about separation, for the Fireworks and electric storms in dogs.
Also read: Choose the best Food for Dogs
There is no established confirmation if using CBD helps dogs who are receiving chemotherapy however, it has been proven that in humans, rats, and ferrets it has benefited by reducing nausea.
It helps in inflammatory processes, such as arthritis or inflammatory bowel diseases.
Side effects of CBD
There is no verifiable scientific data on the side effects that the use of CBD can produce in dogs, but there are possible effects based on the experiences of humans. This is why you must be sure that you are administering the ideal dose to your pet.
- Decreased saliva: This can manifest as increased thirst.
- Low blood pressure: High doses of CBD cause a temporary drop in blood pressure. Although the drop is small, it can create a brief feeling of dizziness.
- Drowsiness: It can cause a feeling of drowsiness when a higher dose than normal is given.
Other effects that we could consider as negative are: excessive panting, lethargy, vomiting, mild urinary incontinence or loss of balance.
- Keep in mind that if your dog is being treated medically for any other pathology the safe concentration of cannabidiol and the drug in question can be undesirably altered by the interaction between them. That’s why it’s important to inform your vet before making the decision to use CBD.
- It is important to start with the lowest dose, monitor your dog’s results, and adapt to it. Most products will offer dosage suggestions.
- CBD oil for dogs is usually administered by orally.
- The most common format in which we can find CBD oil for dogs is in the form of dropper.
- Avoid putting the dropper directly on your mouth of your dog to avoid contamination. If it is done inadvertently, clean it well afterwards. You can use a teaspoon or syringe to give it to him.
- If possible, try to manage it without food, for greater absorption. But we know that it can be a difficult task, so you could also drip it in your treats or meals
- For proper conservation, store the product refrigerated in the refrigerator and avoid direct sunlight. And once opened, use in a few months.
- It is generally believed that young animals need less CBD than older ones.
Although CBD oils are less toxic to pets compared to other medications, an overdose could lead to some side effects in your dogs or cats. If you choose to manage CBD oils properly, you will have a furry friend by your side for many years to come.